We’ve all been hearing it for years – I’m finally deciding to do something about it in my every day life! I know I shouldn’t rely on a holiday to spark some action from me – if we all did that nothing would ever improve – but Earth Day came, went and left me feeling inspired.
I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve never been very concerned about how much waste I created but recently, I’ve switched my perspective. I’m not a scientist or a professional who knows all the details about global warming or the level of carbon dioxide in our air, but I figured that doing little things to help out would be better than doing nothing at all. Suggestions were all over social media on Earth Day and the days following so I decided to put a couple of them to use. Here are a couple of ways that you can make your life more green!
- Reusable Shopping Bags – The idea blossomed when I was tired of paying for paper bags at Aldi (great idea by them to push the reusables though). The plastic bags at other stores most likely go to waste and I like the idea of boycotting them when I can. Opt for the reusable bag when you go to the store, each time you’re saving more & more waste!
- No paper plates – Everyone hates doing dishes, am I right? My roommates and I love to have paper plates around to minimize our dish-cleaning responsibilities. However, I decided that paper plates aren’t my thing anymore. I’ll suffer through the extra dishes if it means that I’m creating less waste!
- Use Tupperware – A couple days a week I have to bring lunch with me to eat between classes. Normally I pack a turkey sandwich in a ziplock baggie, but I want to ditch the plastic bags. Instead of disposable plastic, bring your lunch in a reusable Tupperware container and wash it when you return home later!
- Stainless steel water bottle, coffee cup & straws – Ohhhhh YES reusable straws are all the rave! I bought a pack of cute reusable plastic straws for the house and also got a stainless steel one with my Healthy Human coffee mug. Bring a water bottle to refill throughout the day and make your coffee at home before you leave! How many Starbucks cups do you think actually get recycled properly??
- By the way, Healthy Human is amazing – SUCH cute colors and patterns! Very good quality for quite a reasonable price. If you follow me on Instagram (@state_of_beck_) you’ll definitely be seeing a lot of this baby.
- Reusable Keurig cups – K cups no more! I’ve just switched to using a reusable k-cup filter and coffee grinds rather than the usual ready-made k-cups. Saves waste and not to mention a TON of money! Those little suckers are pricey – buying a bag of coffee grinds is cheaper and lasts longer. What else do you need to know?! Nothing but good comes from this simple switch. Swap out the two, both your wallet and the earth will be thanking you!
These are five easy ways that I have decided to green-up my lifestyle a little bit. They all are very simple and honestly don’t take much effort, which makes it much easier to continue the good habits. Baby steps, people, baby steps! Let me know what you guys think or if you have any other suggestions 🙂
Talk soon, xo!